My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Simple Corn Soup


Corn Soup is the easiest when it comes from the can. But what if you want to make it from scratch? Is it difficult? Nope, it's not, and in fact, Corn soup is one of the easiest soup out there. The key thing in corn soup is the corn. For this I combine 2 types corns, though I don't know the name, Singapore wet market only have 2 kinds of corn, cheap (50c each) and not cheap (1.5SGD each) --> see the difference in price? I literally whined in front of the veggie stall uncle when I heard the price. But I know why after I taste the corns, raw. Cheap corn, sweet but not juicy. Not cheap corn, much sweeter and juicy. Another key thing is chicken stock. It'll be nice if you can have the home made chicken stock, but me being lazy, I just use water. It's not as tasty as if you use the real deal, but hey, I still get the reasonable corn soup and it goes well w/ my Baguette.

Ingredients:
2 cheap corn (the ones that all yellow) - cut of the cob
2 not cheap corn (the ones with yellow and white) - cut of the cob
1 onion - diced
3 potatoes - peeled and cut cubes
750ml chicken stock or water
500ml milk
300gr minced chicken - combined w/ some corn flour and a dash of pepper
30gr butter
Olive oil
Seasoning: pepper

How to:
1. On the big soup pan, saute onion until fragrant and soft, add on potatoes, keep cooking until potatoes quite soft and add corn. Stir for awhile then add water (not all). If you like thick soup, add on water bit by bit, and only after blending then you add on more water if it's too thick.
2. When boil, use hand blender, mash the mixture. Alternatively, you can pour in the soup to blender and blend well and pour it back to the pan. Bring it to boil again.
3. Once boil, start adding in the minced chicken shaped in balls. This will prevent messiness and it looks more appealing.
4. Lastly, add the not so cheap corn and milk (not all) into the mixture. Check if the soup's thickness is per your liking. If it's too thick keep on adding milk. If it's too thin, cheat a bit by mix some corn flour with the leftover milk and add on to the soup. This will thicken the soup. Bring to boil once more and finish with pepper seasoning.

You'd wonder:
1. Why only pepper? That's because the corn is sweet already. No sugar needed, unless you're a sugar addict. No salt needed unless your taste buds require it on your every single meal. Personally, I like to let the corn taste take the precedent in this soup.
2. What if I don't like chunky corn soup? Then you just add ALL your corn on the first stage and blend all, except the chicken. I personally like to munch my soup, not just sipping the whole bowl.
3. Why must chicken meatballs? That's because I'm too lazy to cut the chicken breast meat. An alternative is using chicken meat, just cut them to bite size and add some corn flour to ensure they're still tender after you finish w/ the soup (meat will usually toughen if you keep boiling them after some time).
4. Will it tastier if I use chicken stock? Definitely. It's recommended to use chicken stock, but if you don't have them at hand, it's not the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment