My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Covered Apple Pie


This is my first time baking a covered apple pie and also the first time extracting different recipes and only take what I want. Ran through a taste test today, and had some positive response so I think I can call it a success, though it can be much improved next time (learn from mistakes and continue to grow).

Ingredients:

Pie Skin:
1 no egg
40 gr sugar
125 gr butter
200 gr flour
1 pinch salt

Apple filling:
6 apples - cored, peeled, and sliced
1/2 cup raisins
50 gr butter
70 gr brown sugar

1 egg for egg wash

How to:
1. In a bowl, combine egg, sugar, butter, salt and flour. Rub with hand until mixture has a sandy texture, then add on egg. Mix and form a ball, wrap in cling wrap and put in freezer for about 10 min.
2. Take the dough out from freezer, divide by 2, put back the half to freezer. Roll the 1/2 dough to 5mm flat. Cover the 8" pie dish (I use the disposable). Use thumb to lightly press the sides and patch up the sides. Cover the pie skin with aluminum foil and pour in beans (I use what I have at home, beans and rice). Bake it on 170C for 15-18 minutes. Take out from oven and let it cool.
3. On the sauce pan, put apples, raisin, butter and sugar. Keep stirring until sugar reduce and form thick consistency. Let it cool.
4. Take out the other half dough from freezer and roll flat to 4mm thick for cover.
5. Pour in the apple filling and cover it with dough. Use knife to make patterns. Brush over the top w/ egg wash. Bake it on 190C for 25-30 minutes. Cool it off before put in the fridge.

Tips:
1. Use leftover dough to make decoration. This time I use Cherry Blossom cutter and stick them to the top (as per picture).
2. Egg wash first before you start to decorate, else it'll be very difficult and you'll get an uneven golden brown color.
3. Do NOT dock the bottom. This will make your pie soggy.
4. I'd prefer Fuji or some other red apples, except Washington apple, and I'm not a fan of Granny Smith apples)
5. Add on 3-5 gr of cinnamon for an extra kick. I didn't put cinnamon as some people may hate it.
6. It's always fantastic to mix the butter w/ creamy butter. It'll add the extra yumminess to your apple filling. For Indo people: Weisman is our best friend ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment