My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Salmon Miso Soup


Yeah, I ate the same thing at Sushi Tei with 1 bowl of soup cost you 8SGD++ (so total of 10SGD). It's a good comfort food, so why not do it at home? After all, almost everything in the bowl are available in the supermarket. Note that I didn't even need to go to the Japanese supermarket for ingredients, so this is good. The only thing that's lacking from my version is the green color, the leek. Though having leek in your miso soup is a very good thing since leek brings out lots of sweetness to your soup, but unfortunately it deteriorates your soup life by very wide margin, especially if you plan to freeze your soup, like what I'm doing now.

Ingredients:
150 gr salmon - cut pieces (best if you can get fatty salmon)
1 pack enoki mushroom
1 pack maitake mushroom
1 pack konyaku - cut small cubes
3 medium carrot - cut medium
1 pack tofu - I use firmed tofu
1 small onion - sliced thinly
10 small blocks bonito stock (home made)
Seasoning: miso paste and cooking wine (to your taste)

How to:
1. On soup pot, pour in about 600ml water and bonito stock (you can add on water to your liking), over small fire.
2. Add on carrots and onion, bring to boil, let it simmer until carrots are half-cooked
3. Add on miso paste and the cooking wine, adjust taste
4. Add mushrooms and konyaku, let it simmer for awhile
5. Add tofu and salmon the last. Once salmon is cooked, off the fire and serve.

Tips:
- For cheaper alternative, sub salmon with chicken or sliced pork (it'll become tonjiru)
- Good miso paste means better soup base. This time I just use whatever miso paste available in the supermarket, and not being picky.
- I use the plum wine instead of the usual cooking wine. It'll be much sweeter in term of taste but I'd preffer it that way to balance the miso. Sake is definitely welcomed too.

No comments:

Post a Comment