My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Stir Fry Long Bean with Minced Chicken

I'd think I posted this recipe years ago, somewhere, but I can't find the old posting so I assume I never write this before. I think I took the recipe from tabloid Nova (those were the days when I basically copied down all Nova's recipes online and made a scrap book out of it) and the dish makes its premiere among my American friends when I was still in the states and they fell in love with it. But  along the way, I made modification per my convenience but the essence is still the same.


Yield: 2-3 person

What you need:
200 gr long beans - cut 5cm length
150 gr minced chicken
5 gr corn flour
6 cloves garlic - finely chopped
1 small red onion - finely chopped
2 red chilies - take out seeds and sliced
Water
Seasoning: salt, pepper, sweet soy sauce, mirin

How to:
1. On a bowl, mix chicken, flour, salt and pepper until well mixed
2. On a wok, heat up the oil, add in garlic, chilies and red onion, saute until fragrant and soft
3. Add in the chicken mix and use spatula break them until small pieces (bite size)
4. When the chicken is half cooked, add in long beans, splash some mirin and water, then close with the lid for about 5 minutes
5. Once long bean cooked, add on sweet soy sauce and pepper, and if you like the gravy to be thinner, add bit more water

Tips:
1. The original recipe use minced beef, but for healthier choice, I use minced chicken
2. The original recipe also use tomatoes, I forget to buy some, so I use chilies :p. If you use tomatoes, you'll need less water and you'll have more color on your dish :).
3. I use red onion instead of shallots because I don't like cutting shallots (they're small so you need to peel some while you only need 1 red onion to do the job). Shallots may taste sweeter but I don't see much difference in using shallots or red onion, they're the same to me :p
4. Though this dish has tomatoes in it, I don't think I'll mix this with pasta because I don't think sweet soy sauce will go well with pasta :p...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment