My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Different Shirasu pasta

Well, this is just another version of shirasu pasta, but definitely different from the previous recipe, and you can serve this with rice as well. Initally I made this to be eaten with rice, not pasta, but according to my logic, anything cooked with tomatoes will go well with pasta, and so far I haven't been proven wrong...

Yield: 2-3 person


What you need:
1/2 pack cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pack bunashimeji mushroom
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
250 gr fresh silver fish (that's why this is different from the previous recipe)
1/5 stalk leek, julienned (optional, this is just to give you the green color)
1 pinch dried chili
Seasoning: salt, pepper, tomato sauce
Pasta of choices: fusilli or spaghetti

How to:
1. On a wok, heat up the oil with dried chili (it'll give you a nice fragrant, not necessarily spicy)
2. Saute garlic until fragrant and add on tomatoes and bunashimeji
3. Once they are half-cooked, add on the fish and leek
4. After all are cooked well, add in seasoning, and taste
5. After you get the taste that you like, add on the already boiled pasta and toast around until it's well mixed

Tips:
1. You can change the mushrooms to enoki, eringi, nameko or white mushrooms, but I don't think I will use shitake, or oyster mushrooms because they give different feels
2. I like to use cherry tomatoes because they're not so watery compared to the big ones, and off course cherry tomatoes look prettier on your plate because they'll still retain their shapes after they're cooked too ;)
3. Fresh silver fish is cheaper compared to the Japanese shirasu, talk about 9SGD for small pack compare to 4SGD to the huge pack. But I'd think this will depend on where you live as well.
4. I like to use lots of garlic because it'll cover up the fishy and mushroomy smell. Don't get me wrong, I like mushroom but sometimes the smell can change the overall food's atmosphere (what am I talking... just imagine this, you have enoki in the pasta but it smells that you keep thinking of miso soup while you're eating the pasta, weird right?)
5. Do try wheat pasta, I like them better than the regular pasta because they're more chewy and have more body when cooked with tomato based sauce. And when you're at it, also try the organic ones, they're much lighter compare to the non-organic ones ;).


Below is what it looked like if you use spaghetti, I didn't use mushroom at the below version but nevertheless, the idea is the same.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment