My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Egg Fuyoung with Bakwa

Bought too much bakwa (aka dendeng) during Chinese New Year and you still can't finish them all? You can try turn it into egg fuyoung, they make a very tasty one ;). My egg fuyoung is basically... egg pancake, I don't use flour because the last time I tried that (years ago experiment) it turned out to be disgusting, so yeah... Well, egg fuyoung must always come with sauce. As far as I know, there're only 2 kinds of sauce, the read and brown one. I find red sauce is more fore traditional egg fuyoung (you know, those with cabbage, and carrots... maybe I should make this some times too, haven't eat it for years already), so I make the brown color sauce but with red base because I like ketchup :p...



What you need:
100 gr bakwa (should be about 2-3 slice, they're heavy), cut small squares (about 7mm big)
1 bunch chives, cut 5cm length
1/4 no big leek, julienned
1 no onion, thinly sliced
Egg mix:
5 no eggs (about 220gr)
40 gr soya milk
40 gr chicken stock
20 gr mirin
Seasoning: salt & pepper

Sauce:
1/2 no onion, thinly sliced
7 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (if you like it more tangy, you can add more) 
1 tsp dried chili (I just add them in because I like the fragrant)
3 tbsp brandy (yeah, I like liquor in my food)
20 gr water

How to:
1. Stir fry bakwa and onion until soft. The best thing with using bakwa, you don't need to use oil because they're already oily and they won't burned more than they already are :p
2, Add the rest of the veggie and cook until soft. Add salt & pepper. Don't over cook, and DO NOT add extra water.
3. Pour in egg mix and start cook the egg w/o breaking the edge. To prevent the bottom from burning too fast, occasionally use spatula to lift a bit the mixture from the bottom of your panmake. This is to make sure you can flip the mixture later.
4. Once you see that your mixture is in the condition of flippable aka it's cooked enough so that it's won't be so messy when you flip it over. Use 2 spatula from both side of the mixture to flip it over. It's quite heavy so be careful not to break it. I'm not good with this step myself and my wrist is not strong enough to use the pan itself to flip the egg, so that's why I need 2 spatula. Alternatively, you can use another same sized pan and flip it over, easy but that's extra washing to do and provided that you have 2 pans at hand.
5. After the flip, just make sure that the bottom is cooked enough and it's done.

Sauce:
1. On the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and dried chili, and saute the onion until soft
2. Add all liquid and cook until they're bubbling

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment