My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Sunday, July 22, 2012

My First Cake Salé

Anybody know what is cake salé? Honestly, I never heard of this until last Friday. I just went to Kinokuniya and did my browsing at the recipe book aisle (yes, the Japanese one, not the Western one) ritual and I stumbled upon 1, 2 cake salé cook book (they call it ケークサレ), and they're colorful and full of pictures! Off course, my first instinct is... what's this? Muffin in loaf? Savory type of loafs? Anyway, I just had to have the book first :p...


... and I'm not that far off. According to my google search result, (there's no wiki for cake salé, or maybe there's one but it's in French), cake salé is a savory loaf. You can find loads of recipes from the blogs, but most of them are in French... and Japanese (I tried searched by ケークサレas well). 1 article that I found describe cake salé as muffin without sugar and add on the richness. But this means that you'll find most of the Western recipes has lots of fattening stuff, cheese, cream, buttermilk etc etc.... this is not what I want. I want something nice and healthy enough for my breakfast or snacks, moderate amount of fat still can be tolerated but not the overwhelming everything add on, which is why I love my cook book.


So, Japanese being Japanese, they just have to Japanize the recipe, not the base but the variation. So, we have combinations like: smoked salmon + shimeji; sakura ebi + ginger; vegetable curry; gyoza; okonomiyaki; leeks + miso, and the list can go on forever. So, with so many combinations, yes, it does have some recipes with cheese, but it makes up only 20% of the whole book!


So, which recipe did I choose for my cake salé debut? It's the shredded pork (I use shabu shabu pork), spring onion and Chinese lettuce pickles (the recipe says to use 榨菜 but I can't find it at the supermarket). No cheese, and I substitute the cream with all milk. Texture may be slightly different, but I just wanted to get an idea what it tastes like and... it's not bad! Actually it's quite nice that I end up eating 2 pieces, pronto haha...






So, stay tune for more cake salé from me... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment