My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Poached Pear

Finally! I made the poached pear again after so many years... This time it's with white wine. I used a Chardonnay because I like it better than Sauvignon Blanc and it's cheaper than Port wine, yeah, I'm those type who doesn't really splurge on wine, and it's for cooking, not for drinking...


Beautiful isn't it? Such an eye candy without any garnish... perfect with ice cream...

What you need:
1 pack of pear (I use the small pears, 1 box has about 8 pieces)
1 bottle of white wine
25-30 gr sugar

How to:
1. Peel the pear skin
2. Arrange the pears standing in the sauce pan and pour in the wine and sugar
3. Boil for about 1 hour on low fire or until the wine reduce by half

Points:
1. Regular recipe would state about 150gr of sugar. I find it too sweet especially if your pear is already sweet to begin with.
2. If you cut the pear into pieces not poaching them in whole, you'll need to use lesser wine because cooking time can be cut tremendously.
3. The benefit of leaving the stem aside for aesthetic function is because you can lift them around by just holding on to that stem. Mine didn't break at all when I move them around.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment