My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mun Tahu... My Version

I've never made Mun Tahu before, it's always Mapo Tofu (with House's ready to use sauce), so I resolve to the Internet for the recipes... and boy how disappointing the recipes are. As far as I'm concerned, Mun Tahu is sort of the white color version of Mapo Tofu, so why I find recipes with oyster sauce in it? And I'd expect to find recipe which actually uses pork, but that didn't even come close, the whitest meat they use is chicken... ... ... OK, scrap all of them, I'm making my own version, which at least close to what I'd imagine...


What you need:
300 gr minced pork
1 pack silken tofu (I use organic tofu, easier to eat)
1 red chili, seeded and thinly sliced (optional, I use it just for the color)
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small pc ginger, finely chopped
1/4 leek, julienned
100ml stock (I use dashi stock, chicken stock is OK too)
seasoning: mirin, salt, pepper

How to:
1. On a wok, saute garlic, ginger and chili until fragrant
2. Add on pork, use spatula to break down the meat to small pieces, cook until well done, add on mirin so that the meat won't turn out too dry
3. Add on tofu, and leek. Use spatula, break the tofu per your liking
4. Season it with salt and pepper and it's done

Point:
1. Ginger eliminate the porky smell
2. If you like the meat to be softer, on a bowl, mix the meat with about 10gr of maizena
3. You can substitute the leek with spring onion (they add color too)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment