My photo
Hello! Welcome to my simple food blog. As the name implies, this blog is solely served as my repository on food. Desserts, home-made cooking, reviews both raves and rants, recipes, or whatever that I encounter :). Hope you enjoy your stay :) and if you feel like it or tried the recipe, do comment on it. Comments are loved ;).

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Version of Gulai Singkong

I made a different version of the cassava leaves dish, quite sometime ago (here and here). This time, I made gulai singkong, not as healthy because of those coconut milk, but I got a feeling it'll be different if I use milk instead. If you google the recipe (example, here), you'll see the long list of ingredients to my horror. So, I decided to cut all those out without taking out the flavor. Let's see if you agree to it :).


What you need:
500 gr Cassava leaves - boiled for about 7 to 10 minutes, strained and cut
100 gr anchovies (the small ones)
500 gr coconut milk
water (as needed to thin out the coconut milk)
6 pc lime leaves
3 tbsp oil
Condiments:
1/2 round garlic (about 5-6 cloves)
2 medium sized red onion - you can cut all those small shallots, but I don't like peeling those tiny shallots, waste energy
10 gr macadamia nuts
5 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 pack of chili padi (about 50gr)

How to:
1. On food processor, add on all the condiment ingredients and blend it until smooth
2. On a pot, heat up oil and saute the condiment and the lime leaves until fragrant
3. Add on anchovies, keep on saute-ing until well mixed
4. Add on Cassava leaves, coconut milk and water
5. Simmer the cassava leaves until the gravy reduced and thickened, and the leaves are soft

For a very Indonesian lunch, you can have it together with pepes tahu.


Enjoy!

1 comment: